Friday, August 12, 2005

Day of Tests !!

Today is wat i call a day of tests.

went for an interview at Fugro dis morning. the place is like at tuas la. no bus goes there.
so had to cab there from jurong point.
it's a dutch company dealing in surveying services and the like.
i applied for a survey engineer position.

had to go through a written test which tested my knowledge of my sec school physics - ohm's law,
and digital & analogue electronics which included logic gates and the like. luckily i could remember some of them :)

after which had a practical exam to see how i would test a computer cable to see which pin on one end of the cable is connected to which other pin on the other end. luckily i had some idea. except dat i was using the wrong range on the multimeter (was using megaohm, instead of ohm.) i'm sorry if the non-engineering ppl reading this have no idea wat i'm talking abt. den had to use an oscilloscope and a generator to produce a 100kHz sine wave with 1V peak-to-peak. managed to get the settings rite on the generator, but no sine wave appeared on the oscilloscope.

the manager went on to tell me abt job scope, leave benefits, and pay.
i get 21 days leave + one day for every sat and sunday i'm offshore.
i also get a basic pay of abt $2k + a daily offshore allowance of usd60 a day.
but i'll be offshore for abt 7 mths every year, with each trip lasting from abt 4-6 weeks.

pay is good, job scope is not bad, but i dun think i wana b away from family and frens for 7 mths...
of coz the other 5 months can be covered by the leave accummulated. and can also go back to the company for training courses and such to preserve leave.

was a little late by the time the interview ended.
so cabbed down to fairfield methodist sec sch to let them verify my educational qualifications.
gona start teaching on monday. they called me at 7am to ask me if i could teach today. i had to reject them.
so got my temp pass, 3 whiteboard markers (black, blue & red, if u're wondering...), a copy of the english handbook and the teacher's lesson plan. english is no longer taught the way it was 11 years ago.
i hope i will b able to execute the lesson plan. HELP!!

den rushed down to suntec to take my second paper to get my certification to be a financial advisor.
finished it in an hour and passed it. think i'm born w the innate nature to be able to finish my exams fast.
very rarely do i stay for the entire duration of an exam.

met up with the manager from financial firm after dat. had a little talk w him, gona meet up w him again next thur after i've cleared my 3rd paper next wed. den gona fill in my application form to be a financial advisor. gona b another 4-6 weeks b4 i can officially go out to meet clients and close deals.
hope my savings can tahan. i'm pretty certain i wana do this and make a successful career out of this.
i have very good vibes of the career so pray for me that i'll b able to make it in this industry.

i've been thinking of how i wana market myself, how to differentiate myself from the other agencies and create a niche market. think i'm gona target my ex-colleagues at 111 sqn first. hehe...

met john, my cat high classmate, to collect my mont blanc docu bag from him. only $75.
asked him to help me get one coz he was going to china for work.
he gave adrian chong an alfred dunhill one the last time we met up.

so ends my day... gona rest. tom going to give physics tuition...

2 comments:

Little Miss Snooze said...

AA grade bag? :P

Is good to help yr mates,esp army men, do financial planning. :)

Anonymous said...

original replica. hehe...
yes... from personal experience,
all only know how to spend $$.
so they are good targets.