Monday, July 04, 2005

The day when I ALMOST collected my IC...

Hey all !!

After that pretty thought provoking entry, I thought I'll just talk abit about what happened today...

2 July was an important day... not only for my friend, Michelle, who celebrates her birthday on that day,
but for me as well.

Coz it's my ORD date !! For the un-initiated ORD stands for Operationally Ready Date.
Sounds so nice right? It's amazing how our gahmen makes simple things sound so important and fantastic.
So I'm now offically an Operationally Ready National Servcieman (NSman), previously known as Reservist.
But everyone still uses the old title. Easier to relate to the older generation. Just imagine...

Me to Dad/Mum/Whoever from the previous generation: I'm now a Operationally Ready NSman.

D/M/Wfepg : Huh?

Me: I'm reservist now.

D/M/Wfepg : Orrrr...

Nsman is not to be confused with the 18, 19 or 21 year olds who are enlisted to serve NS.
They're called NSFs (National Service Fulltime).

If any bit of the imformation I posted is wrong, do let me know...

Anyway... back to the story...
I woke up bright and early at 7.10am in the freaking morning... the earliest so far in about 11 weeks.
So met colleague, went down to camp with him, met up with some of our buddies,
had our final meal at the canteen, and happily went to the admin office,
all excited to see our prove of civilian-ship (if there's even such a word).

Unfortunately, bleddy people in charge were not around coz they went for a Base-run.
Of all 365 days of the year, they HAD to run on 4 July, knowing there are people who ORD on 2 & 3 July.
Aren't they all smart?

So we were there waiting for an hour, still unable to collect our I/Cs despite numerous people coming back.
We asked around and we were told that our I/Cs are locked in a drawer and the person holding the key is on urgent morning leave and will only be back at around 1.30pm.

We were like, "WTH?! Isn't there some backup key somewhere that you can open the drawer and give us our I/Cs?" The girl who told us the news just said, "No, sorry."


For people who have been in the military, you will know that this is bulls***.
The SAF is so kiasu that there is always a backup somewhere. But we couldn't do a thing about it.

It was 10.30am when the announcement was made. I was like " Huh?! I gota wait 3 hours for the stupid officer to get back?" Didn't want to wait around for so long, so I went home.

So this is the day when I ALMOST collected my IC.

Dang.

Going back tomorrow.

Hope it WILL be the day i COLLECT my IC.

2 comments:

Little Miss Snooze said...

*roll eyes*
U mean I/Cs not kept in safe deposit box hidden in a tight security vault??

splatpotato said...

actually i duno...
mayb they are until the time for the person to collect, den they take out from the vault and keep in drawer until person collects ?

hahaha...